Saturday, February 25, 2006

A Second Viewing...and Quilt Top Done!!

My non-tradtional baby quilt... I don't tend to make baby quilts with black fabric, but I had these blocks from a swap and my friend said she wanted bright things for this baby girl's room, so I thought the black and bright quilt would suit. She didn't want the normal pastels for babies.I plan to wait to quilt this till the baby comes sometime within the next month or so (due mid-March) and then quilt the name and date, and maybe a quote or two, or just stars, hearts, etc... now that I'm using a softer fabric, I know I'll be able to do the free-motion quilting I want for this one!

We had a second viewing for the family of the woman who looked on Tuesday! They seem to really like the house and the gardens! I have a nice size berry patch in the back, some apple trees, and herbs scattered throughout...haven't managed a bigger garden with the two kids to keep me busy, but this seems to be a big attraction for them.Since they just saw the house this morning, we won't know if they are interested enough to make an offer, but please keep all those fingers, toes, eyes and elbows crossed for us!!

Off to work on some of my 4 patch swap blocks before the kiddies come home. Have decided to be like my organized quilting momma hero, Evelyn, LOL, and prepare some blocks that I can sew a seam or two on in 5 minute snatches. If I have stuff set up, then between playing with kids, getting them places they need to go, looking after house, cooking dinners, working on my paid work, LOL, then I can find some time for quilting too, woo hoo!!

I finished my DJ wallhanging and will put it aside till I sort out quilting thread and needles. Can I just use the Mettler thread I use for hand piecing I wonder? Or is it not strong enough for the quilting part? I also think I'll use sharps instead of betweens, as the shortness of the betweens scares me. I should learn someday from a long-time quilter, but till I can find one in Ireland or on my travels, I'll just wing it for the moment.

I pulled out and started preparing sashing for my big DJ...hope to sew some of row A together tonight...beginning a new part of my Dear Jane journey! Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

Blogger  Jeanne said...

Oh, the brights a d black are nice! And doing the personalization with the quilting will be wonderful!

Keeping my fingers crossed about the buyers!

3:02 PM  
Blogger dot said...

The quilt looks beatiful. I am sure your friend is going to love it. I will keep the house matters in prayer.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

ME? I am your quilting Momma hero? You are the one who has entirely HAND pieced a Dear Jane quilt - with TWO kids (not just one little munchkin, like me!). You are the one I am in awe of! But I do find that my short bits and pieces of organized sewing time does add up.

That baby quilt is GREAT! I am liking brights with blacks right now. Hey, Little Boy loves his new black/bright top, so that is a good sign - kids love this combination!

Good luck with the prospective buyers - must be hectic keeping your house ready to show - well, that is one way to get the house cleaned - or at least everything stuffed in the closets out of sight (ask me how I know - I have been through this before!). It is a great excuse to have some fresh flowers though...(especially if they are plant loving people, which it sounds like they are).

Cheers!

Evelyn

9:06 PM  
Blogger Cher said...

yes, I too think that baby quilt is smashing! so much fun to put in some personal quilting words too-and you know, I like using sharps for my hand quilting-remember "ain't no quilt police gonna tell me what to do!" everything crossed for an acceptable offer on your house!

3:25 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Love the quilt and what a nice variation from the traditional baby quilt.

I'll be sending good thoughts your way on the house sale.

Judy L.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Mary Johnson said...

The black looks good with your bright blocks even if it isn't traditional for a baby quilt.

3:11 AM  
Blogger Patty said...

I like that quilt a lot. The black makes such a striking contrast.

3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home