Thursday, March 02, 2006

History of my Dear Jane

Here is my Dear Jane layed out virtually...I've only got 4 sashed together in real life!

I've gotten many lovely comments on my Dear Jane, and since I haven't worked on much more than a few sashings for the Dear Jane quilt in the last few days, I thought I'd post about my Dear Jane quilt. You can find the history of the quilt here. It am using Civil War (1800s) reproduction prints that I traded people for from around the world...Irish items, signature blocks, other fabric... I had a great time doing that and built up a great Civil War repro scrap stash...no yardage, but lots of little pieces!!

I call her my "Frugal Jane". I'm big on scrap quilting, recycling, shoping at thrift stores, restoring old furniture, etc etc... just a frugal kinda girl. My entire stash of yardage is about 10 pieces and then a bolt of unbleached muslin...my scraps take up boxes and baskets!!

Anyway... I started on my Dear Jane journey thanks to a generous gift from fellow Stashbuster, Gail Riker. Thanks Gail, if you see this!! That was in January 2005 when I started with 6 inch blocks I've been sashing together recently for my wallhanging! I realized a full quilt in that size would drown our bed here, so changed to 5 inch blocks.

I hand pieced all 225 blocks, tris and kites over the last year, finishing in just under a year. I found the hand piecing very relaxing in the evenings after chasing kids all day, LOL! I think hand piecing is a great way to do it. I found the curved piecing and the complicated blocks with tiny pieces much less intimidating by hand than if I'd done them on the machine. Don't get me wrong, I love machine piecing, but for this quilt, I wouldn't do it any other way than by hand...just less scary for me that way!

I am by no means an experienced quilter, so if I can do this anyone can, LOL!! If you've been put off by the complicated blocks, but still like it, just go for it... I never did applique, reverse applique or curved piecing or hand piecing before this, and I made it through. Go for it!!!

Now I've got to learn hand quilting, LOL, after I finish constructing the top. It is a never ending learning process! Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

Blogger Vicky said...

"Just under a year" - oh, my!!! You're my hero! (My Jane is safely tucked away in a closet with about 40 blocks done.) Beautiful!!!

2:14 PM  
Blogger Laurie Ann said...

I love the title "Frugal Jane" very original! Good job! If you pieced it all by hand I would definately also hand quilt it. Amazing!

4:19 PM  
Blogger Cher said...

well, you will truly have an heirloom by the time you hand quilt your dj quilt! As you have learned everything else with this quilt-I am sure you will do well learning how to hand quilt too.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

I love the name of the quilt - and how very special it's going to be, with fabrics coming from all over the world. Your blocks are very beautiful!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Pink and Barbara said...

Wow under 1 year! I am impressed!

Barbara

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm in awe of all your hand and hard work. And, love the "Frugal Jane" title!

7:15 PM  
Blogger Kairle Oaks said...

Simply amazing! Beautiful work...so inspiring!
Kairle

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home