Friday, January 26, 2007

Looky what I got this week! My Grace handquilting frame for quilting my Dear Jane, my Christmas present to myself. It was supposed to arrive while we were in the States so I could bring it home as part of my baggage allowance, but arrived the day after I left, and dad had to post it...but it was still worth the cost, very reasonable for such a "nicely engineered, well made" (DH quote!) frame! I can't actually load up my quilt at the moment, as I have apparently caused a stir in the Irish quilting community by showing my quilt in November at the Limerick Patchwork Quilt Guild! A few ladies have been asking to talk to me about displaying the unfinished quilt, what a nice compliment!!! I will probably take it to a couple of classes to show students what anyone can do...I am not an amazing quilter, my precision leaves something to be desired when doing rotary cutting and machine piecing, but block by block with freezer paper templates, anyone could make a Dear Jane quilt...really!!
I have never decorated for holidays, except Christmas, and will never be an over the top decorator, but this year I am going to try to have a few themed wallhangings...this is the start of a small Valentines day hanging. I will applique some hearts in the 4 plain squares and put a border on, and maybe practice some more hand quilting.
My mom also sent a smaller package this week also left behind at their house...some more yarn for socks and some Sugar and Cream cotton yarn for making some dishclothes I've been reading about...will try to use them instead of sponges for dishwashing...

We're off to Dublin for the weekend where I hope to finish my latest round robin crazy quilt block, and continue working on a baby aran hat for a friends little boy before the weather gets too warm!
Posted by Picasa

16 Comments:

Blogger Gail said...

I wish you well on your DJ presentations. Don't underestimate yourself, you must have done well to get such a great reaction.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

What a lovely frame! Congrats on such wonderful reception for your DJ quilt!

3:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations! I am looking forward to knowing how well you like your new frame. Your DJ is awesome!

Would you mind sharing the pattern for the dishcloths you plan to make? I love them for dishwashing. Thanks.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

Good for you Cathi - you will really enjoy using this!

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A quilting frame ! The dream of every hand quilter ! Woooohooooo !I'm happy for you !
Your Dear Jane is fantastic, you really deserve that treat !
Hugs & smiles,
NADINE.

7:47 PM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

your encouragement on Dj will be welcome by more than a few local quilters I'm sure. :-)

8:07 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Oh, the frame is great! Too bad it had to be shipped, but definitely worth it!

You've brought Dear Jane to Ireland. =)

I love the fabrics you've chosen for your Valentine's quilt. Look forward to seeing it with hearts.

Have fun in Dublin. Love the yarn color pictured at the bottom!

8:35 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Your quilting frame is wonderful. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! I can't wait to see your work on it.

I'm working my way around the Stash Quilts Ring and wanted to say Hi.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Dawn's Daily Journal said...

Love the frame!!!!
dawn

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your quilting frame is HUGE! Oh, what a dream to have one of those--and the space for it--LOL! ENJOY! Have a grand time in Dublin!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

In my book, anyone who can make a DJ is an excellent quilter! That's wonderful that you've been asked to show your quilt and help others find confidence to make one.

Congrats on the DJ frame. Your hand quilted DJ is going to be a family heirloom -- better make another one! :)

Judy L.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

I've always wondered how well this frame worked, so I will be watching very closely how you profress and what you think of the frame!

The Dear Jane is wonderful...you did a great job on it!

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That frame is great! Please let us know how you like it when you are quilting. I would love to see a picture of your DJ in the frame. How exciting.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Shelina said...

Congratulations on your new frame. Nice you have room in your house for it. I am sure it will really help out in handquilting the DJ (and hopefully many more quilts after it!)
Your DJ is a masterpiece, and you should bask in its glory.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Linda C said...

Hey, look at that! Merry Christmas to you a little late.

Don't sell yourself short on completing the DJ quilt. You still did all the work no matter what help your methods may have been. Plus now plan to hand quilt it!

The yarn looks yummy and those are my fav dish rags though I mostly use them for wiping out the sink since we have a dishwasher.

I have been wondering too, if you can get socks to fit a little better if you make them yourself. My husband has a horrid time with the one size fits all routine wadding up in his shoe and then bunching up under his toes. It might be worth my making some if it works and also keeps those cold tootsies warm.

1:32 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Great present to yourself - a wonderful frame for your wonderful quilt! I bet the girls are going to want to put a few quilting stitches of their own on your DJ! Not sure it would have fit in your luggage anyway, but at least you have it now!

Cheers!

Evelyn

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home