Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Inch by Inch...

I've been making slow progress these days, but I have finished Barbara's Crazy Quilt round robin block I had been working on...it has been posted off to the next recipient a day before the deadline, yeah!

I also started working on the Dear Jane blocks I want to hand quilt for my pay it forward swap. If they aren't done in time to be Christmas decorations, I figure they will make cute valentine ones, lol. The blue block is for Barbara's Dear Jane, I promised one a while back as a thank you for all the help she's given me since we met!

I've also started on a few ocean waves blocks for my scrappy ocean waves bed quilt. I will make this for our bed I think! I have a feeling my Dear Jane won't be on the bed for a while, lol, as hand quilting won't be speedy here with this newbie! I am using all my reproduction scraps and like the look so far.

We are really looking forward to our trip out to Oregon in a few weeks. Anyone in the Portland or Bend areas want to meet up? I am hoping to see Patti and Cher while I'm there (How is Saturday the 16th for you guys? I will be jetlagged, but that won't keep me from some quilt shops!). My parents have retired to a new house in Bend, out in the mountains, so we plan to stay in Portland at the start and end of the trip to keep mountain pass driving to a minimum...

I am starting to think about 2007 goals... I think 2 bed quilts for my own house, many wall hangings, and a focus on quilting for our family again. I still only have one of my own quilts in the house and it is in bits, fallen apart from abuse (my first quilt). I love giving quilts to friends, but they appreciate any thoughtful gift, and I want to quilt for my girls this year as well...and sew some clothes for them...make some dolls maybe... So maybe 2007 will be year of the family for sewing and knitting projects...hmmmm

Labels: , , , ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blue DJ block looks lovely and I really like the way your ocean waves is coming together too.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Forgetmenot said...

The spider is brilliant - it looks almost alive. And I can't even begin to think how you did the knot. Brave and clever!

5:24 PM  
Blogger May Britt said...

Even if it takes a long time to handquilt DJ you won't regret doing it. It's a treasure.
And it looks like you have a lot of plans for next year

7:46 PM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

the scrappy ocean waves look great... what a wonderfully cozy quilt they will make :-)

10:56 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Such a creative mind you have. I so enjoy looking at what you do.

5:27 PM  
Blogger dot said...

Cathi,
E-mail me and I will see what we can do about meeting up while you are in PDX. I think the 16th should work for a little bit. I do have wedding things but I can take a hour or two if you are interested. jndclark@verizon.net

2:41 AM  
Blogger Linda C said...

The crazy patch piece looks wonderful as does the DJ block.

Lucky you coming stateside to visit your folks and meet up with online friends. Give Cher a hug from me. I hope to someday make the trip out that way myself!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Hedgehog said...

Your ocean waves look great!! Good inspiration as I head into the weekend!

6:08 PM  
Blogger Tazzie said...

Your blocks are ALL just lovely, you sure have been busy! I'm amazed that you're working on more DJ blocks so soon after completing your DJ top, I couldn't face them again for years!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

4:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the blocks are beautiful! Crafting for home & family next year sounds like a cozy plan. Like you, I'll be Stateside for the holidays--have a wonderful time! Happy Days! :o)

12:19 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

I haven't even started to think about my December goals much less the 2007 goals. All of your projects and goals sound wonderful. I can just picture you relaxingly hand quilting the Dear Jane. Then getting up to stretch to sew something on a machine.
I agree with you about buying gifts for friends. I don't think most people realize the amount of work that goes into making a quilt.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Cher said...

I can make the 16th happen- email me and we will firm it up! glad you are going to focus on more family quilts.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Mary Johnson said...

Very pretty - I made a two color Ocean Waves for my sister because she doesn't like scrappy quilts but I actually prefer these blocks.

4:42 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Absolutely a great idea to keep quilts in the family! My son lays claim to just about every single one of them as fast as I make them. Ah well... my great aunt had no children of her own, but dotted on my Dad - and she made lots of quilts. I had 1 on my bed for years and years and it was that quilt that really inspired me to get so involved with quilting - a past time that has provided me with years of enjoyment (oh, and a bit of seam ripping too!). But, yes - it does take hours and hours to make a quilt and little girls do so much love doll dresses and aprons and little pillows, and, and, and! My son is a big fan of PJ's! So - hooray for some family sewing!

Cheers!

Evelyn

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home