Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Post(wo)man Cometh

Oh my goodness, look at what deliciousness landed on my doorstep yesterday! It is my swap with Ruth in South Africa! We did a swap: Irish yarn for South African shwe shwe fabric. It was postmarked December 1, and we'd given it up for missing, so I was over the moon to see it arrive. It is so beautiful, thank you so much!!

I also had this beautiful artwork arrive from another exotic locale, from Jo in New Zealand. I wish I had half your talent for embroidery. It is beautiful!!

My socks are done...I still have lots to learn about them...have found a nicer cast on to use, have learned how to graft after my failed attempts here, and I've realized that worsted weight socks are great to learn with, but I think lighter sock yarn is on the cards for future pairs...something I can wear with shoes!! All in all I am still happy with my fraternal twin pair of socks, my first ones of many I am sure... I can feel the addiction growing...

Here is another pillow I started and finished today, I love how fast these go together... This is for... Holly how did you guess? Sister of the infamous Conor, Aine's best buddy from Waterford, who we are off to visit tomorrow. Better pack up some knitting for the trip...and maybe my apple core quilt hand piecing...

18 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Jan said...

The African indigoes are lovely, aren't they? Fun swap!!

12:48 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Amazing how long international mail can take!! Love that pillow (has me wishing *I* was holly)!

2:03 AM  
Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

Watch out! The sock yarn stash can rival the quilting stash. I have found eBay a good place to purchase sock yarn.

2:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the socks. I'm so relieved that the parcel finally arrived, I was sure it had been stolen, I had fun choosing the fabrics for you too.

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blue fabrics are gorgeous! What will you make with them--a quilt? Love the socks--you're getting to be a sock pro. Wonderful embroidery...And that pillow is so charming!

9:22 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

Those blue fabrics are beautiful! And I like the socks- even if they are fraternal twins.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Joyce said...

I just love those blue fabrics. Lucky you!

12:47 PM  
Blogger Doodlebug Gail said...

I have a nice collection of Shwe Shwe fabrics as well ..... I'll be watching to see what you do decide to do with yours.

Great socks by the way!

1:56 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

What a fabulous and generous package! I'm using those DeGama indigoes in my Dutch Treats. There's only one site that sells them here that I could find. Good thing she has a booth at the big quilt show each January because it's hard to order from her on line as she travels so much. They are fabulous to work with. Lucky you!

Your socks are great! Good job!

2:20 PM  
Blogger tami said...

Great package. I can't wait to see what you make from all that fabric.
I wish I had known you 2 years ago when we went to Ireland. I looked and looked and couldn't find any yarn. I finally found an outlet that had a VERY limited color selection of yarn in some small town that we drove miles out of our way to get to. I still haven't made anything from it. :o(

9:06 PM  
Blogger CONNIE W said...

I think the socks look great. The blue fabrics are really pretty as is the pillow.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Wow - what a great post - filled with all sorts of wonderful goodies! Have a good visit with your friend!

Cheers!

Evelyn

4:27 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Beautiful blues and I love those socks!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

I think I need to bribe your postwoman to forward all your mail to my house. Except the bills, you can keep those. Those African fabric are incredible! As is the embroidery.
The socks and the pillow are both wonderful.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Linda C said...

what interesting mail is arriving at your house. The blue fabric is wonderful. And look at the socks--a pair now and you learned soemthing along the way for the next pair.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Marla said...

Beautiful fabrics!!!!.

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What beautiful blue fabric - I'm jealous I have to confess. Lucky you with your husband going to germany regularly - I'd end up giving mine a huge shopping list!

10:40 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Lovely fabric, and your socks look much tighter than mine! I'm 3/4 way through my first sock, and have had a few tantrums!

4:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home