Sunday, April 01, 2007

Group Projects!

I did this Irish landscape with needle turn applique (except for that tree, I'm not that crazy... a little fusible web for that!). It will be part of a banner for a Brian Boru festival held here in Killaloe/Ballina (one side of our town, Killaloe, is in Clare, where I live, Ballina, is across on the other side of the Shannon River in Tipperary). Brian Boru, a great ancient warrior was supposed to have ruled over this area, so there is a festival every year. I started it at my patchwork group on Wednesday and got so into working on it that I finished it that night... My applique is slowly getting better!

The other project is my next crazy quilt round robin block. The quilt is beautiful in creams, whites, and pastels... I had fun putting some lace and my little spider on it.

My ocean waves are growing slowly...have finished 25/80 now, and have decided to make this bed quilt a duvet cover...possibly using some thin flannel for quilting it and then using muslin or another sheet for the duvet back... we have duvet covers here, not layers of blankets, and my bed is a sleigh type one that a quilt doesn't look right overhanging, its edges really need to be tucked in... has anyone ever made a duvet cover/quilt?
Posted by Picasa

11 Comments:

Blogger Joyce said...

I have made several duvet covers. No problem. Just sew the back to the front and I like to put a zipper on the bottom but some people don't bother. I also put snaps at the top to hold the duvet in place but it is a bit hard on the duvet and could void any warranty there might have been on it. Mine is so old that I am not worried about warranties and I can always mend it if it tears.

4:32 PM  
Blogger dot said...

I have never made a duvet cover. I do like your ocean waves though. You are doing a great job.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Gail said...

These projects are all quite different, except that they are all coming along very well- and I like the scrappy ocean waves.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how the ocean waves is coming along.

12:43 PM  
Blogger CONNIE W said...

You must have a lot of energy to keep up with the girls and to accomplish so much quilting! Sounds wonderful. The crazy quilt block is gorgeous. Great work.

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully appliqued tree...And those waved keeping rolling along...Your crazy quilt patch is gorgeous! Happy Days & Happy Easter! :o)

1:18 PM  
Blogger tami said...

I made patchwork duvet covers for both of my children. I have quite a button stash from when a clothing manufacturer went out of business near here so I used those to close it. I just made the last border a little longer on one end and with the backing to match folded both under and added button holes. I really liked the way they turned out.
I was glad to hear about Brian Boru. We have an Irish pub here in Maine named after him and I'm ashamed to admit I always thought it was just a random name someone used. You learn something new every day.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

Cathi, all three of these projects are so beautiful, and all so different from each other. The landscape is exquisite. I haven't done a duvet cover.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Linda C said...

No way will you get bored with such varied projects! Looking good, Cathi!

1:21 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Love the applique. Will you show the whole banner later? Love the ocean waves blocks. So nicely scrappy. Will copy the center on that CQ block somewhere - your laces are beautiful.

9:48 PM  
Blogger sewprimitive karen said...

Cathi, your projects are just wonderful.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home