Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Ideas for a quilt...

These are the scrappy four patch blocks we are swapping... these are the ones I've received so far. I asked for scrappy novelty/kids prints for baby quilts I have to make this year.

I plan on making them in a 4 x 4 setting (one block has 2 4 patches and 2 plain blocks) and was wondering, has anyone made a scrappy border before using maybe 2.5 inch bricks to form a strip rather than a piano key like border? I thought I'd do a scrappy strippy border then another border of the plain muslin... but what would you quilt in those centers? They are about 12 inches big?? I'm still a novice with machine quilting but would like to do something besides meandering in those areas?? Can anyone help? Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

I like your design idea for the 4-patches. I've never done a border like you describe but I bet it would be nice. I say it's your quilt so go for it. And as for the quilting help - I'm not a very inovative machine-quilter so hopefully someone who is has some ideas for you. I can manage stitch-in-the-ditch and a simple meaner and that's about it.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Mary Johnson said...

I like borders that have vertical strips like you're describing - I just saw one that had several "rounds" of narrow strips to make a border that was probably about 6 inches wide.

You have a lot of choices for quilting in the white space - maybe a feather wreath?

5:46 AM  
Blogger Cher said...

I agree with Mary-feather wreath comes to mind...or cross hatching if you want to stick to straight line stitching-fast and easy...but that open space seems to call for something fancier to me. If these are for babies...maybe something baby related? simple animal shapes...stars and a crescent moon?

4:21 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

OH, that is a hard one... but maybe you can enlarge some of the "charm tacks" that are free here: http://quickquilts.com/motifs/
I think there are others on that site... You'll have to look around!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

great quilt...if you are a novice i think cross-hatching would be an awesome idea! good luck
hugs
laurie

8:40 PM  
Blogger Pink and Barbara said...

Hi,

Nice blocks, I like the idea for the border. Since the blocks aren't pieced together, I would try and quilt the blocks seperatly (quilt as you go) Maybe a cool star in the middle?

Barbara

8:54 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

Oh, I see room for feathers! Really pretty feathers. I'll post a note with a picture of a baby quilt I made that was one of my first attempts at machine quilting.

Judy L.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Passionate Quilter said...

I agree-a neat feather wreath. And they have beautiful stencils so you wouldn't have to do them freehand.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home