Monday, July 10, 2006

Cousin's Quilt Finished!

As I've blogged about for the last month or so, my cousin was in a very bad car crash at the end of may, along with her 4 month old baby. The baby came through with only minor abrasions and a small concussion, but my cousin had severe injuries including traumatic brain injuries. She was in a coma for a while, and is now awake!! However, she still isn't aware of things just yet. They are trying to get her to move her eyes to answer yes and no, but not sure she is there yet with her understanding. Please send out prayers, good thoughts, good karma, for some sort of cognitive recovery for her if you can! But awake is great news!!

My aunt said she loves the color peach, and I thought that pastels would be soothing to her eyes. What do you think? (please excuse the wrinkles from hanging!) I need some ideas on how to quilt this simply, I'm still a novice machine quilter and haven't hand quilted yet (will be learning for my Dear Jane!). I will back it with flannel for a soft warm feel!

I hope to post again this week with my first DJ border attached. With no school for Aine and doing my work mainly at night, and Aisling giving up her naps (oh no! there goes the daytime sewing!) it is going slower than I thought...but hey it is progressing!

I'm looking forward to a package from Hancocks of Paducah with flannel for this quilt and a HUGE design wall I hope to create in the new house, if we ever get there...might be end of August at this point...UGH!!! The package will also have some bleached muslin for another handwork project I will start: a seven sisters wallhanging using my blue South African indigos I have. So many ideas, so little time to quilt!! Posted by Picasa

17 Comments:

Blogger Linda C said...

Cathi, glad to hear that there has been some improvement and your cousin is awake.

I quilted the one we did in the ditch but don't go by me, I quilt almost everything in the ditch. I am getting better about outlining with the darning foot so maybe there is hope for me yet.

1:08 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

That is such great news about your cousin. Cognitive would be great but awake is good. Prayers still going up for a full recovery.

I do love this quilt. I've been watching them pop up all over the internet and it's inching up to the top of my "gotta do" list. I'm thinking leaders/enders using some of my cat prints in the centers and med/dark brights for the small squares and triangles.

1:19 AM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

what good news about your cousin. The quilt is coming along well -- especially with the changes of routine in your household re time to quilt.

1:30 AM  
Blogger ForestJane said...

I'm glad the news is good and she's awake. :)

And the quilt looks great! This one looks good in subdued colors, and flannel will be a nice soft backing.

3:48 AM  
Blogger Patti said...

Such good news about your cousin. Still sending my prayers her way daily.

4:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Such good news about your cousin - sadly it will probably be a long road to recovery - head injuries are like that - but on a brighter note she is obviously taking steps albeit small ones in the right direction - I do so pray that she will make good progress - as for the quilt it is a delight - I'd say quilt it the way you're most comfortable with if you feel you're such a novice - as long as it's held together the pretty piecing pattern will stand up well no matter how you quilt it - I wish her and all of you the very best

7:48 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Cathi, It's good to see your post. Glad your cousin doing doing better, we'll keep her in our prayers.Summer times are hard on quilters with little ones. When Chelsey was little, I'd give her my lace box. She's play for a good hour "organizing" and "disorganizing" the lace. It might buy you a little time...

11:24 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

That wonderful quilt with a nice flannel back will give comfort to your cousin as she recovers. And I do pray that her recovery is complete. Awake is a good first step.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Your cousin will love the quilt! I am glad to hear that she's awake and will pray she continues to improve.

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awake IS great news, and, the quilt looks great!

4:49 PM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

This is a wonderful quilt and I can't believe that you managed to get it to this point in a mere 2 months, what with all the other things you have going on right now. I am hoping your cousin continues to recover and even if she can't communicate - you just never know... she might in some way recognize the color peach, etc. You did a great job!

Cheers!

Evelyn

6:32 PM  
Blogger Finn said...

The quilt looks wonderful Cathi..and I'd be happy to include your cousin in my daily prayers and petitions. For sure that dear baby needs the mama back in business..*VBS*
I'm sure when you get going you'll do just fine knowing what the quilt needs to be completed..*VBS*

7:32 PM  
Blogger Hanne said...

Sending strong thoughts to your cousin and her family. The quilt looks very nice. I hope it will bring your cousin a lot of comfort.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Maureen and P.D. the Pet Dog said...

Such a sad situation for your cousin, I hope all goes well for her. I think she will love the quilt. Will you put flannel on the back too? I'm making a large lap quilt for my MIL who is in a nursing home, my friend told me to put flannel on the back so it doesn't slide off the bed or her lap while in the wheelchair. I've enjoyed your blog.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Patty said...

Very pretty quilt and I will be saying a prayer for your cousin. Its always a good sign when recovery begins.

3:46 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

I keep your cousin in my prayers Cathie!!

I love your new background. It is so great !

8:16 AM  
Blogger Melzie said...

That is beautiful and yes, very restful looking! I am glad she is awake, prayers for a full recovery. xoxo melzie

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home