Monday, July 17, 2006

Some Progress to Report!

I have done baby quilt number 2 from my double 4 patch swap! This one goes to my friend Jen in Colorado Springs, for her third son Henry. It has lots of things to spy when he gets older. Hope they like it!! I have enough blocks from this swap to do one more quilt for another friend in Oregon...will wait to deliver hers myself when I go for Christmas to my parents new home in Bend (and my brother's new bachelor pad in Beaverton)...

I have my cousin's quilt sandwiched and decided to meander the muslin parts of the quilts with maybe the center squares outlined... I need to become a more precise quilter...too many puckers and wrinkles, so meandering is helping it. Doing liberated quilting is wonderful, but for traditional designs...I should learn to be a little more patient and precise. Need to walk the middle road I think! I don't want to ever become a member of the quilt police (like I'd ever have the skills to be one!!) but I can also just make a conscious effort to do the best that I can and enjoy myself as well! I am happy with my cousin's "peachy quilt" but wouldn't want the quilt police anywhere near it, they'd have a heart attack!!

Anyway, we are hopefully getting closer to getting our new house. We looked at furniture this weekend a bit, and priced things for doing the kitchen. There is carpet in this kitchen, have you ever heard of anything so strange? Carpet and kids aren't a good mix, especially in the kitchen, LOL, so that is one of the first changes to make!

I am doing the Crazy Quilting round robin with Barbara and a few of her friends, so Crazy quilting is becoming a new interest of mine. I'm really excited about the idea I have for my own blocks...it will include photos of my family and ancestors, my wedding dress, parts of girls baptism gown...and more...won't spill the beans on the entire concept of the quilt, but looking forward to getting started. When I get a spare moment... Posted by Picasa

13 Comments:

Blogger Linda C said...

Looks fine from here, Cathi. Tell those quilt police to just back off!

The baby quilt is adorable and sure to please the child and mama.

1:18 AM  
Blogger MARCIE said...

Your double 4-patch is adorable and I really like the other scrap quilt as well. That is so cool the way you have little photo clips on the side. Really makes it easy to keep track of what you are doing.

1:21 AM  
Blogger Mary Johnson said...

The I Spy is cute - I like how you did the inner border.

Meandering does take up a lot of fullness - you'll never know it was there by the time you finish.

Carpet in a kitchen? Never heard of it - you're right that will have to come out. Another place I HATE carpet - Bathrooms! I had to pull it out of all my bathrooms in both my house and the condo.

1:37 AM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

carpeted kitchen -- about as appealing as a linoleum livingroom. :-)

2:23 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

What a darling idea for a baby quilt. I wrote this one down. I know it's going to be a wonderful gift.

Melanie

11:04 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Cathi - your new sidebar is looking great! So fun to see your quilts in a glance!

4-patch I Spy quilts for kids - great idea. AND, your cousins quilt really turned out lovely!!! You did a great job with it.

I once had a house that had carpeting in every room - including the bathrooms and kitchen - yikes! But - in 2 rooms under the yellow and gold shag carpeting was wonderful wood floor that we refinished - I was so excited to find wood floors under there!

Cheers!

Evelyn

12:32 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

Nice to hear from you Cathi. The baby quilt is great - what a good use for your scraps. The rest of your quilts are great too - I certainly wouldn't worry about the quilt police! I love how you added the pictures to your sidebar. I'd love to hear how you did that!

2:19 PM  
Blogger tami said...

I don't see any puckering. Both quilts look very nice. I'm sure the one for your cousin will be a great comfort for her.

Carpet in the kitchen does sound like an odd combination, but I can do you one better. When we moved in here there was thick carpet in the BATHROOM. Boys... bathroom carpet. YUCK. It's not there anymore.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the side bar on your blog. Nice way to keep track of your projects.
The colors and fabrics in your cousin's quilt seem very relaxing and they coordinate so well. It always catches my eye when I'm scanning through the blog ring.

12:46 AM  
Blogger Cher said...

that baby quilt is cute! as is your cousin's quilt-way to go...I live next door to Beaverton-we must arrange to meet Cathi! good that your house is coming along.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Quilt Police take all the fun out of quilting. Your quilts look just fine. You are right to put those nasty Quilt Police out of your mind and just enjoy the process of making a quilt.

Carpet in the kitchen and bath was the fashion for a short time. But that fashion didn't last long - especially if you spilled bacon grease on the floor!

1:52 AM  
Blogger Jo in NZ said...

Found you via other CQ blogs. Lookforward to watching your journey into Crazy Quilting. If there is any way I can encourage your addiction , let me know :)

9:05 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Your I Spy is adorable, as is your double 4-patch and the other scrap quilt.
Meandering does take up a lot of fullness and is fun to do I think.
I also love the way you did the side bar!
I do agree carpet in the kitchen is not good, change it when you can!
I love your blogs came upon you searching the web!

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home