Sunday, August 06, 2006

Crafty Weekend...

This will be a quilt for Aine's school we are leaving behind...I will bind it up with scrappy bright binding I had leftover from another project (I knew it would come in handy at some point!) and need to piece together some batting scraps to do this one... I have found enough orphan blocks to make pillows for each teacher as well...a little nicer than the typical box of chocolates, well, in the long term anyway!

I also found an orphan block I have that will be PERFECT for crazy quilting practice! My grandmothers fan block. The lace is actually from my grandmother's stash so will be used in my crazy quilt blocks for the round robin as well!

My MIL is here for the weekend and funnily enought brought a knitting project. Aine is there with her own "knitting". I will definitely be teaching this girl some crafting when she gets older and can manage a sewing needle or knitting needles. I wonder what a good age will be for those, hmmm????

I've started on the top border for the Dear Jane, with an aim of getting the quilt top done by October at the latest!

 Posted by Picasa

9 Comments:

Blogger Linda C said...

I can't believe how big Aine is getting since we see her in the little profile pic when she was obviously a bit younger.

Way to go with the wallhanging for the school--fun for the kids

8:58 PM  
Blogger Katjaquilt said...

Your Dear Jane Quilt is wonderful. Mine is taking a long winter sleep at the moment. I handpiece it and at the moment I'm not in the mood piecing these tiny pieces.
I like the colours you choose for the school wallhanging.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

What a nice gift for the teachers! - And less fattening than chocolates too.

9:51 PM  
Blogger ForestJane said...

I think the first crafty thing I tried, as a child, was those lacing cards... you know, a shape with a row of holes punched around the edge, then the child takes a shoelace and 'sews' the card. It's a good way to practice both an overcast stitch and a regular in and out stitch.

Then I can remember making a gathered skirt for my doll - Mom had some medium sized gingham check fabric, and I had to go in on one square, out on the next. I stitched up the back, then around the top, and thought it was so cool when she showed me how to pull the top thread and gather. :) Then she stitched a simple waistband on it, using doublefold bias tape, and since we didn't have velcro in those days, she left the ends of the tape for ties. She probably put a little rolled hem on it too, I don't remember doing that.

10:32 PM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

I always think the best time to introduce a craft is whenever someone asks to participate :-) Seeing others doing fiber arts, and feeling like you can join with what interests you keeps it from being a "chore" or someone else's agenda... Love the quilt, and the pillows are a great idea. :-)

11:42 PM  
Blogger Hanne said...

Cute wall hanging for kindergarten.
You and Aine can prepare a simple applique together.
She can draw shapes, like hearts ? - you can iron and cut with scissors. She can place the shapes on a piece of muslin, you can iron and she can sew on them with a running stitch around the edge.
I did this with DD2 when she was around 4. We had great fun together.
I mounted the piece as a little wall hanging later. It is very cute.
I thought she maybe would do 1 or 2 hearts, but she enjoyed herself so much she did 13 !

10:44 AM  
Blogger Patti said...

Oh, that fan block is a marvelous choice for embellishing. What a lucky find!

4:53 PM  
Blogger Melzie said...

I LOVE your bear quilt on your sidebar, you did a great job on that. Your blog is one of my faves, I dont always comment but I always read! xoxo melzie

6:12 PM  
Blogger Cher said...

I think you can start them knitting earlier than you would guess...get some larger needles and get her going on doing just a knit stitch...she might surprise you- or a simple yarn needle and yarn on loose weave fabric where you can stitch along a drawn line..a needle that won't hurt her!
love how this turned out Cathi!

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home