Sunday, July 30, 2006

First Crazy Quilt Block!

My first crazy quilt block. I thought I was going to keep it with just whites and creams, but these browns and greens leaped into my pile too...

This is a photo of my grandpa (future big band leader in previous post!) as a young boy. Love those Edwardian poses and clothes for kids!

Put a tiny piece of my wedding dress lace in there, and some Egyptian fabric to remember my trips round the world (spend a month in Egypt...)

I plan to keep the colors in a brown/green/cream/white pallette, for a theme of "family tree", so "earthy" colors, "tree" colors!

This will be sent out for a CQ round robin, so no embellishing...that is for RR folk to do...I get my first block to embellish soon, that lovely quilt top over at Barbara's blog! Posted by Picasa

11 Comments:

Blogger Melanie said...

I love your quilt block. I'm glad to see you playing with your sewing machine. I know it's tough with little ones. You're doing great. Keep me posted.

Melanie

12:39 AM  
Blogger Linda C said...

It is going to look way cool! Are you going to be allowed to see the work while it is in progress? Or big surprise at the end?

Thanks for the photos in your sidebar posting as well---I am sure that Darilyn wouldn't mind sharing.

12:44 AM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

I just love the fabric at the top of the CQ block -- right above your grandfather...

1:03 AM  
Blogger ForestJane said...

Ohh, those are my favorite colors you're using. :)

I especially like that fabric near the top, with the little squares set on point. And neat idea to use a scrap of your wedding dress lace!

2:39 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I thought I would post here instead of the post below.

My heaven I wish I had known that in order to blog I needed to be a computer programmer. You lost me at Ctrl C -- which I did try.

I love the quilt you are sending to your cousin and your crazy quilt with the photos will be wonderful - it is so nice to have the old photos seen and enjoyed.

3:19 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

I love that you include the old time photos- this quilt is going to have such personality!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Silverthimble said...

I love your quilt block! Excellent choice of fabric colours--they really show off the antique photots.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

It just looks lovely your quiltblock.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Crazy quilts have such nice memories built in. Yours is so nice and I love the colors. Can't wait to see the finished product.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Wonderful block. Is everyone in the RR doing photos? I saw someone else's and it was photos, too, why I ask.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Love that block. It is going to be so special!!

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home